Plonsk, Plonsk District, Warsaw Province, Poland
On the eve of WWII, Plonsk, situated on the Plonka River some 60 km northwest of Warsaw, was home to some 5,000 Jews – about half of the city's total population. This was a community of workmen, tradesmen and Torah scholars, Hassidim, Mitnagdim and Zionists.
On 1 September 1939, the Germans invaded Poland, and on 5 September they conquered Plonsk. On 16 December 1942, the last of the Jews of Plonsk were sent to Auschwitz.
Out of all the Jews living in Plonsk when the Germans invaded, only a few dozen survived the Shoah.
This is the story of the community of Plonsk.