| Press Room | Online Store | Friends | Contact Us

Former Mokharty Estate

On the morning of February 8, 1943 members of the German 22nd Reserve Police Battalion surrounded the "town ghetto" of Slutsk. Special commandos, consisting mostly of Latvians, entered homes and, with brutal violence, drove the Jews out to the gathering point. The assembled Jews of all ages and both sexes were then loaded onto trucks and taken to the former estate of Mokhart, popularly called Mokharty, situated 5 kilometers east of Slutsk, 800 meters north of the Slutsk-Starye Dorogi road, on the far side of the Veseyka River. There the execution took place at mass graves. The Jews were ordered to enter the graves and were then shot from behind. Members of the Minsk security police office did the shooting.
During the liquidation of the ghetto some Jews staged an armed uprising, shooting at the German and Latvian soldiers. To quell the resistance the Germans set the ghetto houses on fire. The ghetto completely burned down. Postwar court proceedings against the perpetrators of this massacre cited a minimum of 1,600 victims: at least 1,200 were murdered at the graves at Mokharty, the rest in the ghetto itself. According to Soviet sources, the number of victims of this massacre was 3,000.
Video
Berta Gendelevich was born in 1920 in Slutsk and lived there during the war years (part 1)
To view - click here
Berta Gendelevich was born in 1920 in Slutsk and lived there during the war years (part 1)
+ Show additional videos