| Subscribe | Press Room | Store | Friends | Contact Us

Lubart Fortress

Current view of the Lubart fortress
<br>
Photo by Eugene Shnaider, 2009 Current view of the Lubart fortress
Photo by Eugene Shnaider, 2009
Genesis Philanthropy Group project

On June 30, 1941 300 Jewish men were taken by the Germans to the Lubart Fortress. According to one testimony, the Jews were made to dig a big pit for themselves in the courtyard near the eastern part of the fortress prison. Then, at sunset, they were taken in groups of 20-30 to the edge of the pit and shot to death by members of Sonderkommando 4a, under the command of Paul Blobel. The shooting ended at approximately 11 p.m.
On July 1 notices were posted around the city ordering Jewish men from age 16-60 to report with shovels on the following day to the courtyard of the Lubart Fortress to repair the drainage system. On July 2, 1941 a large group of Jews was assembled at the site: several skilled workers were released, while the remaining 1,160 Jews were taken to a trench that had been prepared on the eastern side of the prison. Over the next several hours the Jewish men were shot in groups of 30 by members of Sonderkommando 4a, the Order Police (Schutzpolizei), and an infantry platoon.



Video
Shmuel Shulman (Shmulik Shilo) was born in Łuck in 1929 and was living there during the war years
To view - click here
Shmuel Shulman (Shmulik Shilo) was born in Łuck in 1929 and was living there during the war years
Multimedia Center – Hebrew University of Jerusalem