| Subscribe | Press Room | Store | Friends | Contact Us

Pluzhnoye

Pluzhnoye, Pluzhnoye County, Kamenets-Podolsk District, Ukraine

To enlarge the map click here

Jews were living in Pluzhnoye in the early 20th century. In 1939 the Jewish population of the village stood at 145, or approximately 4 percent of the total. In the whole county the Jewish population was 1,135.
The Germans entered Pluzhnoye on July 3, 1941. Sometime afterwards the Jews of the village and Jews from surrounding villages who had been brought there were ordered to wear yellow badges on their clothes and were incarcerated in a former military barrack that was fenced off and guarded by Ukrainian auxiliary police. Some of the Jews were taken out to work in local workshops.
In June 1942 150 Jews from Pluzhnoye (mainly women, children, and old people) and several Jewish craftsmen from the nearby town of Kunev were shot to death outside Pluzhnoye.
Pluzhnoye was liberated by the Red Army on January 9, 1944.