| Subscribe | Press Room | Store | Friends | Contact Us

Porkhov

Porkhov, Porkhov County, Leningrad (today Pskov) District, Russia

To enlarge the map click here

Jews first settled in Porkhov either at the end of the 19th or at the beginning of the 20th century. Soon thereafter, they established a prayer house in the town. In 1926 there were 264 Jews in Porkhov, but their number declined, so that in 1939 the town's 175 Jews comprised 1.3 per cent of the total population.
The Germans occupied Porkhov on July 11, 1941. According to some sources, during the Nazi occupation groups of Jews, for example a group of young Jewish men, were sent by train to camps in Pskov. Jews from Porkhov were also sent to labor camps located in the Baltic ara. More than 40 Jews of Porkhov were murdered in 1943.
The town was liberated by the Red Army on February 26, 1944.