| Subscribe | Press Room | Store | Friends | Contact Us

Kupin

Kupin, Smotrich County, Kamenets-Podolsk District, Ukraine

To enlarge the map click here Tombstone at the old Jewish cemetery of Kupin
<br>
Photo by Eugene Shnaider, 2013 Tombstone at the old Jewish cemetery of Kupin
Photo by Eugene Shnaider, 2013
Genesis Philanthropy Group project

Jews began to settle in Kupin in the 18th century. In 1897 1,351 Jews were living in the town. In 1905 Cossacks carried out a pogrom there, during which they looted property and murdered several Jews. On March 6, 1919, during the Russian civil war, the Jews of Kupin suffered from pogroms carried out by different warring parties. In 1926 Kupin had 1,094 Jews, who comrised 37 percent of a total population. A Yiddish school operated in the town until the end of the 1930s. Jewish craftsmen worked in state-owned cooperatives. In 1935 the Jewish kolkhoz Kultura, that was established in the 1920s, was renamed "Yunger Bolshevik" ("Young Bolshevik" in Yiddish).
The Germans occupied Kupin in July 1941. Only a few Jews succeeded in leaving before that. In September 1942 Ukrainian auxiliary police murdered about 300 Jews on the outskirts of the town near the Jewish cemetery.
Kupin was liberated by the Red Army in March 1944.