| Subscribe | Press Room | Store | Friends | Contact Us

Nowogródek

Nowogródek, Nowogródek County, Nowogródek District, Poland (today Novogrudok) , Belarus )

To enlarge the map click here Synagogue in Nowogrodek, 1939 Synagogue in Nowogrodek, 1939 YVA, Photo Collection 204EO9

Jews most probably first settled in Nowogrodek in the fifteenth century.
During the period of Polish rule (1921-1939), the Jews of the town developed a modern Jewish educational system, including the Hebrew Tarbut school and the Yiddish Tsisho school. Traditional heders and yeshivot flourished in the town. Different political organizations and institutions were also active in Nowogrodek, particularly diverse Zionist movements as well as the Bund.
On the eve of World War II, 6,500 Jews lived in the town, comprising half of the total population.
In September 1939, following the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact and the German invasion of Poland, Nowogrodek was absorbed into the Soviet Union. During this period, many Jewish refugees from western parts of Poland settled in the town.
With the outbreak of war between Germany and the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941, some Jews from Nowogrodek managed to flee eastwards. German forces entered the city on July 4, 1941, killing dozens of Jews.
In December 1941, a ghetto was established in the area, in which the Jewish laborers and their families were concentrated.
The Jews of Nowogrodek and its surroundings were murdered in a number of killing operations from July 1941 until May 1943.
Nowogrodek was liberated by the Red Army on July 8-9, 1944.