| Subscribe | Press Room | Store | Friends | Contact Us

Lubny

Lubny, Lubny County, Poltava District, Ukraine

To enlarge the map click here

Jewish settlement in Lubny began in the first half of the 17th century. Approximately 200 Jews from the town were killed in the Chmielnicki massacres in 1648 and 1649. In the 1920s about 100 Jews worked in a local tobacco factory; many others were employed at a flour mill, and about 1,200 were artisans. A Yiddish school operated in Lubny. In January 1939 the Jewish population numbered 2,833, comprising 10.5 percent of the total population of the town.
The Germans occupied Lubny on September 13, 1941. In mid-October the Jews from the town and surrounding area were murdered. Dozens of Jews who were hiding, as well as skilled workers whose lives had been spared earlier, were killed in the spring of 1942.
The Red Army liberated Lubny on September 18, 1943.