Marie and Emile Taquet-Martens
The Queen Elisabeth Home operated in Chateau du Faing, in the isolated village of Jamoigne-sur-Semois. This castle, which was owned by the Sisters of Charity of Besancon, was transformed in 1941 into a home for disabled children. Under the sponsorship of the Queen Mother, it opened its doors to many persecuted Jewish children. Some seventy-five children - at least one half of the residents - were Jewish. They had been brought to the home by Father Andre and Mrs. Yvonne Nevejean, head of the National Children’s Society (ONE), whose central offices were in Brussels. The heroes of this rescue story were the home’s manager, Marie Taquet-Martens, who took care of daily needs in the home, and her husband Major Emile Taquet, who took care of administrative matters and coordination with the central offices in Brussels.
The children were given warm, loving family-like treatment in the home. Mrs. Taquet insisted on giving every child a good-night kiss before going to bed. The "children" spoke of the happy and pleasant atmosphere in the home: "For us, the manor became a vacation camp".