Staszow is in the Kielce district in the south west of Poland. In 1931 the Jewish community numbered 4,800 – a little over half the town’s population. The Germans occupied the town on 7-8 September 1939. Jewish refugees fled to Staszow from the area, and the Germans instituted a regime of forced labor. The Jews in Staszow were closed in a ghetto in June 1942. The systematic murder began immediately and large groups of Jews were executed. In November 1942 6,000 Jews were deported to Treblinka and Belzec extermination camps. The hunt for Jews continued on January 10, 1943 the last remaining Jews of Staszow were deported to Treblinka, where they were killed.