Displayed in the Yad Vashem Synagogue is a circular stained glass window originally from the synagogue of Dobříš, Czech Republic. At the turn of the twentieth century the Jewish population of Dobříš numbered about 250, but by 1930 this had dwindled to fewer than 100 as the Jews moved to larger towns.
During World War II the synagogue was destroyed, and it lay empty and in ruins until it was renovated in the 1950s and opened as a public building. When it was renovated, the striking tower with its stained glass Star of David window was removed and the building was transformed, making it difficult today to see the original architectural detail. Only the “Ten Commandments” panels from the synagogue tower were set in the façade of the building as a memorial to the building’s past.
Fragments that remained from the original destroyed synagogue were stored in the building’s attic, including the frame of the central stained glass window of the tower and a small window of similar design now displayed in the Yad Vashem Synagogue.
Yad Vashem Artifacts Collection