Zionist religious youth movement associated
with the “Mizrachi” party. Bnei Akiva was established in Eretz
Yisrael in 1929 and from there spread out across the world. The
movement combined Zionist activities with keeping mizvot
(commandments) and the Jewish tradition. Most of its members were from
religious homes. Its cadets learned in Hebrew, sang Hebrew songs and
went to summer camps as members of other movements, but ensured they
observed the Jewish laws. Its graduates organized themselves in training
kibbutzim, pending their aliya to Eretz Yisrael.
During the war, Bnei Akiva united with
“Hashomer Hadati” which was also linked to “Mizrachi.”
Bnei Akiva continues to
operate today in Israel and around the world.