Children from the Otwock Jewish orphanage in a forest, Poland
Pictured in the photograph, from right to left: Yurek Glass (moved to Kibbutz Amir, Israel), Tamara Buchman (moved to Toronto, Canada), Ewa Goldberg (moved to Ramat Yishai, Israel), Rafael Jakubowicz (moved to Germany), Janek Karcz (moved to Jerusalem), Jesy Mordcheles (moved to Paris), unidentified individual, Wiktoria Blum (moved to Jerusalem).
The Jewish orphanage in Otwock, a small town near Warsaw, Poland, was established in March 1945 as a unit of the Central Committee of Jews in Poland (CKZP). Well staffed, the house provided good care for the child survivors. In their work the managers of the orphanage tried to carry on the pedagogical traditions of Janusz Korczak, the world-renowned educator who directed an orphanage in the Warsaw Ghetto. The child survivors carried a great deal of emotional baggage and required special care. The Joint Distribution Committee financially supported the orphanage; its subsidies were significantly cut after 1947, and the orphanage closed in 1949.
Visit the exhibition "A Time to Heal, The Story of the Children's Home in Otwock, Poland".
Yad Vashem Photo Archives 5792/7