Policemen guarding Jews who are being relocated into the ghetto in Grodno, Poland
The Jews in Grodno were separated in two closed ghettos. The first ghetto was located in the center of the old city near the local fortress and crowded together 15,000 Jews classified as “productive.” The second, 1.5 miles away, held 10,000 in a larger area. Deportations from Grodno began in November 1942. Thousands of Jews were sent to Auschwitz, to the transit camp of Kielbasin (on their way to the death camps) and to Treblinka. Soviet troops liberated Grodno on July 14, 1944. About 200 Jews from the city were still alive, including partisans. More about Grodno.
Yad Vashem Photo Archives 1366/193