June, 16, 1942
Deportation of Jews from Łazy, Poland
Łazy was a mining town of approximately 1,500 residents close to Katowice, Poland. The Jews were approximately one-sixth of the town’s population. Most of the Jewish community apparently worked in trade, providing services to the nearby towns.
At the end of 1940 and the beginning of 1941, Jews began reaching Łazy from the areas of Western Poland annexed to the German Reich. In 1941, there were 363 Jews in Łazy.
On June 16, 1942, most of the Jews of Łazy were deported to Auschwitz. Jews from other nearby villages were also deported with them. This photograph was taken during the deportation. A few of Łazy’s Jews were deported to labor camps in Bedzin and Sosnowiec.
Yad Vashem Photo Archives 757/1