A Group of youngsters at the Deggendorf DP Camp, Germany
Deggendorf was a DP camp in the American-occupied zone of Germany. Some 2,000 Holocaust survivors lived there, many of them survivors of the Theresienstadt ghetto in Czechoslovakia. At Deggendorf, two newspapers were in circulation, and there was a library with about 1,700 books. The camp had a theatre group, a synagogue, a mikve (ritual bath) and a kosher kitchen, and the “ORT” organization ran a school there. The Deggendorf camp was closed in June 1949.
Yad Vashem Photo Archives, 6086/12