Distribution of wooden clogs to deportees during the deportations from the Lodz Ghetto
The Lodz Ghetto, established in April 1940, was the second largest ghetto in Europe, in which over 200,000 Jews were incarcerated. During the months January-May 1942, some 55,000 Jews were deported from the Lodz Ghetto to the Chelmno extermination camp and murdered there. From the end of September 1942 to May 1944, there were no deportations from the Lodz Ghetto, but the deportations to Chelmno recommenced in May 1944. At the beginning of August, the Nazis redirected the deportations to Auschwitz. By 30 August 1944, over 70,000 Jews had been deported from Lodz to Auschwitz.
For further information about the Lodz Ghetto, click here.
Yad Vashem Photo Archives, 1602/293