The illegal immigration ship "Haim Arlozoroff"
The photograph shows the “Haim Arlozoroff”, a ship which left Trelleborg, Sweden on 27 January 1947 carrying 664 illegal immigrants (maapilim), most of them female survivors of the concentration and death camps. The ship, which flew the Honduras flag, anchored first at Le Havre, France, to stock up on supplies. It then anchored at the Metaponto port in Italy, where another 684 maapilim embarked, bringing the total number of passengers to 1348. On 27 February 1947 the ship reached the shores of Bat-Galim, Haifa, where it ran aground. After a struggle, the British transferred the passengers to 3 deportation ships that brought the maapilim to the British detention camps in Cyprus.
Yad Vashem Photo Archives, 1869/709