Jews on the bridge that connected two sections of the Lodz Ghetto, Poland
The photograph shows Jews on the wooden bridge over Zgierska Street, the bridge that connected two sections of the Lodz Ghetto, in February 1941. On the right side of the street, we see a photographer from the military propaganda unit filming, 2 German policemen at his side. At its height, the Lodz ghetto held over 200,000 Jews, in a built up area spanning just 2.5 square kilometers. The ghetto was divided into three areas by two major thoroughfares that passed through it and served as the links between city quarters outside the Ghetto. Bridges were built over these thoroughfares, joining the three sections of the ghetto. The roads themselves were not included in the ghetto’s living space, and only Germans and Poles were allowed to use them. Police and special SS units were responsible for guarding the ghetto borders, including Zgierska Street.
For further information about the Lodz Ghetto, click here.
Yad Vashem Photo Archives, 7261/24 – Courtesy of the German National Archive (Bundesarchiv)