Opening of the Jewish National Fund’s Bazaar in Poking Pine City Displaced Persons' Camp, Germany
Located in the Bamberg district, Poking Pine City was the second largest Displaced Persons' camp in Germany after Bergen-Belsen. Opened in January 1946, the camp reached its maximum of 7,645 Jewish survivors on October 19, 1946. It had several Talmud Torahs with more than 200 pupils, as well as a Lubavitcher and a Klausenburger Yeshiva with a combined 500 pupils. Poking Pine City’s cultural department featured theaters and sports clubs. The camp was closed on February 16, 1949.
Yad Vashem Photo Archives 1486/838