A parade of Beitar members in Linz, Austria
In 1933, 1,200 Jews lived in Linz, Austria, a city with a general population of 200,000. Although Linz was part of Austria, which was not annexed to Germany until March 1938, half of the city’s Jews emigrated after the Nazi rise to power in Germany.
During WWII the remaining Jews in Linz were deported to Vienna, and were later deported to the East. Most of them perished in the ghettos and camps in German occupied Eastern Europe.
A small Jewish community of a few dozen members was established in Linz after the war. A branch of Beitar also began to operate in Linz, which appears in the photograph.
“Tzadok”, the leader of the Beitar branch in Bruna, inscribed the following on the back of the photograph on June 26, 1946:
“As an eternal memory for our friends, from the opening of Kibbutz Beitar in Bruna, which took place on April 22-23 [...] in Linz.”
Yad Vashem Photo Archives 5230/6