A group of German Jewish women in the Gurs prison camp, France
The Gurs prison camp was situated in southern France, in the region controlled by the Vichy regime, the French government that collaborated with Nazi Germany.
In October 1940, four months after France surrendered to Germany, Germany deported 7,500 German Jews to Gurs. From November 1940 to August 1942, approximately 2,000 Jews were released from Gurs, who managed to leave France by sea. Because of the primitive sanitary conditions in the camp, more than 1,100 Jews perished in Gurs. In August 1942 the deportation of Jews from Gurs to Auschwitz and Sobibor via Drancy began. In December 1943 48 Jews remained in Gurs. The camp was liberated in August 1944.
Yad Vashem Photo Archives 86GO5