Hinda Cohen 1942 - 1944
The baby shoe of Hinda Cohen, with the date of her deportation to the death camps carved into the sole by her father Tzippora and Dov Cohen, 1938, shortly after their wedding Gloves that Tzipporah knit for Hinda in the ghetto from scraps of wool Birth Certificate of Hinda Cohen, Kovno Ghetto, January 18th, 1942
Tzipporah and Dov Cohen were a young couple when the war broke out who had already experienced the loss of one child during childbirth. With the German invasion of Lithuania, they unsuccessfully tried to flee to the Soviet Union. They returned to their home in Kovno and were later interned in the Kovno Ghetto. Approximately half a year later, on January 18, 1942, Tzipporah gave birth to a daughter who she named Hinda after her mother. At the end of November 1943, the couple was transferred to the Aleksotas Work Camp, whose inmates worked in the airport, where they lived in very difficult conditions, performing backbreaking forced labor.
During the day the men and women would go off to work and only the children would remain in the camp with a small cluster of adults and elderly. On March 27 trucks arrived in the camp. The adults were taken out a different gate than the usual one, so that they would not see the trucks and disrupt the deportation. When the adults returned at the end of the day they discovered the extent of the tragedy: no children remained in the camp. Dov and Tzipporah went to their daughter’s bed, where they found one of her shoes and the gloves Tzipporah had sewn for her. Dov inscribed the date upon the shoe and swore to save the shoe forever.
Dov and Tzipporah later returned to the Kovno Ghetto, from where they fled to the forest. They were liberated by the Russian army and in 1947 Tzipporah gave birth to another daughter. In 1960 they immigrated to Israel.
Dov and Tzipporah requested from their family to give the objects from their daughter Hinda to Yad Vashem, and with their passing their granddaughter gave the objects of Hinda Cohen who was murdered at Auschwitz to Yad Vashem.
Yad Vashem Artifacts Collection
Gift of Pnina Eliahu, Givat Shmuel, Israel