With the beginning of the Great Deportation of Warsaw Jewry to the Treblinka extermination camp, members of the clandestine Oyneg Shabbes (“Joy of the Sabbath”) Archive sought shelter for the Archive and decided that it was to be buried, despite the risks involved. Their hope was that it would one day be retrieved and serve as a testament to the murder of Polish Jewry. The archival collections included original research, testimonies and documents, newspapers, diaries, photographs, and artworks. Among those entrusted with the task of burying the Archive were two educators, Israel Lichtenstein and his wife, painter Gele Sekstein. Shortly before burying the Archives, they added their own wills, describing their lives and lamenting the fate of Europe’s Jews.
Archival footage, photographs and documents:
- Yad Vashem Archives
- Jewish Historical Institute, Warsaw
- Ghetto Fighters' House Archives, Israel
- Footage of the discovery of the Oyneg Shabbes underground archive from "Mir Leben Geblibene - We the Living Remnant" (Poland, 1947), courtesy of Natan and Ya'akov Gross
- Footage of the Warsaw Ghetto, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
- Steven Spielberg Film and Video Archive, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Agentur Karl Höffkes
- The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Music (Beeld en Geluid)
- Samuel D. Kassow, Who Will Write Our History? : Rediscovering a Hidden Archive from the Warsaw Ghetto, Indiana University Press, 2009, pp. 142, 154, 190, 253.
- Emanuel Ringelblum, Notes from the Warsaw Ghetto: The Journal of Emmanuel Ringelblum, trans. Jacob Sloan, New York: Ibooks, 2006, p. 86.
- Abraham Lewin, A Cup of Tears: A Diary of the Warsaw Ghetto, ed. Antony Polonsky, trans. Christopher Hutton, (New York, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1988, pp. 183-4.
Every effort has been made to locate the copyright holders to obtain the appropriate permissions and apply the correct attributions. If you have any information that would help us in relation to copyright, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director: Mika Orr
Producer: Gili Nadav
Editor: Ekaterina Diakova
Production design & After effects: Ohad Elimelech
Sound Editorr: Itai Matos
Online Editor: Dima Lydkhov
Narrator: Ross - The Voice Realm
Narration of Israel Lichtenstein: Michael - The Voice Realm
Narration of Gala Zakstein: Joy Pincus
Produced by Mikooka Productions - www.mikooka.com.