The International School for Holocaust Studies
e-Newsletter for Holocaust Educators
Welcome to the 13th issue of Teaching the Legacy. The focus of this issue is “Spiritual Resistance”, featuring an article on this theme and a lesson plan for teaching the subject. Also included are our regular updates on activities at the International School and within Yad Vashem, and book reviews. We hope this newsletter piques your interest and we look forward to your feedback.
The Continuation and Renewed Role of the Jewish Wife and Mother
In this article, Rinat Magan-Ginovkar discusses the change that took place in the role of wives and mothers during the Holocaust, particularly in the Warsaw Ghetto. It is based on some of the interviews conducted by Cecilia Slepak for the Oneg Shabbat archive. Read more
Spiritual Resistance During the Holocaust
This lesson plan presents the topic of spiritual and cultural resistance for teaching high school students. By using resources provided on resistance through diaries, cameras, letters, poetry, and more, the teacher can engage students in a meaningful and interesting discussion of the subject. Read more
What’s New at Yad Vashem?
- Breaking New Ground: New International Seminars Wing Answers Rising Demand for Holocaust Education
- Survivors Share in the Task of Holocaust Education
- Yad Vashem Educational Awards 2008
- Sixth International Conference on Holocaust Education
- New on www.yadvashem.org/education
- Over Half a Million Views in the First Month of Yad Vashem “YouTube” Channels
"What We Value" – Spiritual Resistance During the Holocaust
The topic of resistance during the Holocaust signifies heroism in the face of evil. This article focuses on one type of resistance, that of spiritual resistance. Unarmed and confined in ghettos and concentration camps, we cover some examples of Jews fighting to maintain their humanity and dignity in addition to their physical selves. This article will acquaint you with the topic, and provide some ideas on how to teach the issue and its greater global theme in your classroom. Read more
What’s New at the International School for Holocaust Studies?
What’s New on the International School for Holocaust Studies Website?
- New photo and video sections added to the Sixth International Conference for Educators website
- New Online Course: "Life Lessons – Bringing Holocaust History to Your Classroom"
- New Section "Commemoration and Remembrance" added to the Online Course “At the Edge of the Abyss: The Holocaust of European Jewry”
Editorial Board: Richelle Budd-Caplan, Shulamit Imber, Prof. Dan Michman, Dorit Novak, Dana Porath, Naama Shik
Editors: Jonathan Clapsaddle, Yael Weinstock
Writing Staff: Kathryn Berman, Rinat Magan-Ginovkar, Jackie Metzger, Yael Weinstock
Production and Design: Stephanie Amara, Eviatar Biton, Liz Elsby, Mayana Sebbah, Jeremy Zauder
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org