Sketch of the Popova Gorka murder site
GARF 7021-87-12; copy YVA JM/20009
On September 22, 1941 (according to another source, September 28), Jews from Maryina Gorka
were sent from the town’s ghetto to Lenin Square. They were loaded onto trucks and transported to Popova Gorka, not far from the Blon sovkhoz
, three kilometers from the town. The Jews of Pukhovichi were also brought to Popova Gorka, but on foot. Twenty members of the Gendarmerie Kommando and twenty members of the SiPO
, all of them from Minsk and directed by SS-Brigadefuehrer Carl Zenner, carried out the murder operation. The Germans shot more than 1,000 Jews in two pits.