| Subscribe | Press Room | Store | Friends | Contact Us

The Brailov Jewish Cemetery

Sketch from April 1945 illustrating the murder site of the Jews of Brailov and Mezhirov Sketch from April 1945 illustrating the murder site of the Jews of Brailov and Mezhirov GARF 7021-54-1268; copy YVA JM/19960; Monument to the Jewish victims of Brailov and Mezhirov, at the murder site Monument to the Jewish victims of Brailov and Mezhirov, at the murder site YVA, Photo Collection 3144/3

On February 12, 1942, some 800 Jews from the Brailov ghetto and 279 Jews from the town of Mezhirov were killed by Germans, with the assistance of Ukrainian police, in a pit located near the town’s Jewish cemetery.

In March 1942, the Germans shot 300 additional Jews at the same location. On April 15-18, 1942, the Germans brought another 180 Jewish children and elderly people to the site by wagon, and shot them.

At the request of Brailov’s commandant Hans Graff, the Romanian authorities forced the head of the Jewish Council in the Zhmerinka ghetto, Adolf Herschman, to hand over Jews from Brailov who had fled there. The Germans brought 286 of the escapees back to Brailov and shot them on August 25, 1942 near the town’s Jewish cemetery, together with the last Jews of Brailov (killing, in total, 503 people).