| Subscribe | Press Room | Store | Friends | Contact Us

The Prison

Hundreds of Alytus residents, among them dozens of Jews, were transferred at the beginning of July 1941 to the prison on the west side of the town, near the barracks built at the end of the nineteenth century. These Jews were subsequently shot. On August 12, 1941, Lithuanian policemen, carrying out an order issued by the commander of Einsatzkommando 3a, Karl Jaeger, arrested 717 young Jewish men and women, including members of the local Judenrat. The following day, they were led to the prison and shot.